Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ongoing Strike

When we were little kids, it was quite simple to make friends. That girl has a pink backpack - mine is pink too! Let's be friends!!

Friendships could be based purely on superficial means - you're neighbours, she sits next to you in class, he has a wicked pool. Adult things like jobs and relationships weren't there to muddle things up, and make you act more mature.

As we grow older, we mature; and yet, it seems as if we are sliding backwards in the maturity of our friendships. I believe we blame surrounding factors - I'm too busy at work, school, with my boyfriend, with my family - but perhaps it could be based on our own selfishness.

How many people can honestly say they make an effort to contact their friends?

My strike continues.

Today I messaged a friend, stating that I am tired of our one-sided friendship. I felt a little bad for what I said, so I called, twice. That was twelve hours ago. Still no response. Pretty friendly, huh?

Why do I struggle with this? Do I have high expectations of what I believe a true friend should be? Or do people care about no one but themselves?

It feels rotten to know that the people I consider my "friends," really don't give a damn about me. Totally, ass-kicking, loneliness-feeling, pit-in-my-stomach, rotten. I wish they could know this, but they seem too ignorant to care.

2 comments:

  1. You deserve friends who will be there for you...I'm sorry you're going through this.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh honey, I can't believe they don't realize how amazing you are and that they are not throwing you parade/party/erecting a stature as we speak.

    Sorry you have to deal with this.

    I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete